Saturday, November 8, 2008

A somber, wonderful evening.

Last night was Breakthrough's Annual Benefit Dinner. This is the fourth one I've attended during Scott's 3 1/2 years of working for Breakthrough. And every year, the Benefit is wonderful. Great people, lots of energy, testimonies of changed lives, a great speaker, and the cute Breakthrough youth choir.

This year's Benefit started like any other - wonderful, full of life, and just plain fun (how could you not have fun sitting with a table of family and friends while eating incredibly delicious raspberry cheesecake for dessert)?

As the program started, each word lodged itself deep into my heart as I began to recall years of memories while being around Breakthrough. My heart also felt a slight ache as I heard Arloa (Breakthrough's Executive Director) speak of the future of Breakthrough as I realized I will not be around to see these future dreams become reality because Scott and I are leaving the Breakthrough family.

That's really what it has been at Scott's place of employment - a family. I can run into the office on any given day to say hi to Scott, and there will be a handful of people who stop and talk with me as well, and give Micah hugs and kisses. Though I'm not an employee at Breakthrough, I am part of the family there. And I am going to sorely miss them...the staff at the women's overnight shelter whom I got to know when Scott was volunteer coordinator and I, his then girlfriend, would tag along and chat with them...the admin staff whom I got to know through office visits to Scott...the youth staff whom I got to know through various volunteering opportunities...

Last night was a sweet reminder of God's goodness to us in being part of the supportive Breakthrough family. They saw Scott and I through dating, engagement, marriage, a baby, and now a move out of state. Last night was also a reminder that God is going to keep using the Breakthrough family to bless people, and Scott and I will not be around to be apart of that anymore.

So last night was a wonderful even, but with a somber overtone. I gave a received many a hug from my Breakthrough family members, and couldn't hold back tears as my heart hurt for the forthcoming separation from them.

Lord, please bless and keep them all in Your care. And please, Lord, continue to guide Scott and I in the way You'd have us go, though it may be hard.

No comments: