Friday, February 6, 2009

Fever Boy

I've been MIA this week, due to a very sick little boy. Micah came down with a fever on Monday (fluctuating from 100.7 to 103.7). I was on the phone with nurses on and off all day, and discovered that these were "acceptable" fevers for kids, and he should be fine at home. Just keep pushing liquids and alternate between Motrin and Tylenol for the fever. Bring him in if the fever held for more then 72 hours.

On Thursday morning Micah woke up hot, once again, so I took him in to the Dr. The little guy has an ear infection. So now we're giving him Amoxicillin for the infection, and Motrin/Tylenol for the pain.

I hadn't seen this coming at all (who does?), so my week has been pretty consumed with taking care of Micah over any other "plans" I had. Monday wasn't so bad, he was so mild-mannered and chill, then on Tuesday he was whiney, difficult, fidgety, and so frustrating. I nearly lost it, I myself was starting to feel sick, and poor Scott had to deal with a very grumpy wife that evening. Wednesday morning came too quickly.

As Micah adjusted to another day of feeling lousy and uncomfortable, I tried to have a different mindset, so another Tuesday-type-day wouldn't happen. I picked up our church's Bible reading journal (there's a different chapter to read each day, and a question to follow up with the reading. I really like it! It's neat to know that the people I attend church with are reading the same truth as me each day). Anyway, Wednesday's chapter was 1 Thessalonians 5, with vs 18 highlighted (and a following question):

"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
It may not be easy to give thanks today. But giving thanks when it is hard to give thanks is the perfect time to give thanks because of something inherent about giving thanks: You cannot be negative and be thankful at the same time. What things are you thankful for today?

This is just what I needed. I had lived a completely miserable and negative Tuesday (Scott can vouch for that). Wednesday ended being another "tough" day with Micah, but I felt more composed, and yes, thankful that I was even able to be home with my son. But I will definitely also be thankful when Micah and I are back to being 100% healthy again. :-)

1 comment:

R.A. said...

Oh Bekah...you're so...how do I say it...sweet. You're so everything I'll never be.