Thursday, August 28, 2008

I'm a mommy.

I just spent who knows how long (too long) getting ready for this Saturday...

On Saturday, August 30th, Nicole Ramos and Joel Purcell are going to get married. For this joyous occasion, there are a group of my friends from Moody having a mini "reunion." Ilene, Leah, Ashley, Amanda, Kristin, Nicole and I were all RA's together, 2 years in a row, under our RS Tammy. Though we had other girls we were RA's with for year 1 and year 2, the 7 of us were the ones together for the whole 2 years. We had way too much fun in those 4 semesters as RA's - retreats, small group, the quote wall, boy-talk, mutual concern over the girls on our floors, prayer, etc. I love these girls.

Since graduation in 2006, we have all begun to live our adult lives - 2 are in grad school, 2 are wives, 3 are dating, 2 are teachers, all are working, 1 is a stay-at-home-mom.

Which brings me to the sentence at the beginning of this post...I have a new dress (thanks mom and dad), which needed some minor adjustments to become more presentable. I just spent some time in front of a mirror with safety pins to fix it up. During this whole process, I was realizing how uneven my "tan" is and how obvious it is that I don't have my college figure anymore. Oh, and look at that gnarly bruise smack dab in the middle of my calf, hope that's gone in time for the wedding.

Wow, I'm still Bekah as I was in my RA days, but a lot has changed - husband, a baby, and, oh yeah, 15 extra pounds since that baby. Hmm, and what is everyone else doing these days? They are all hard workers and grad students, and I'm a, um, stay-at-home mom. Dude, why was I letting this bother me? Why was I getting so nervous about my appearance and conversation for Saturday?

Then it happened. As I hung my pinned up dress in the closet, I could hear Micah in his room (though he was supposed to be asleep), and a little cry from him. It hit my heart. This is my son. I am who I am today, a wife and mom, and I love it. Micah is the reason I stay at home. I stay home to teach Micah, raise him, care for him, and keep the house in order so that my hard working husband can relax with his wife and baby when he returns from a long day in the office.

As for my dear RA friends, they aren't going to judge me for what I do (as maybe our career driven society would)...and they are all in their own stages of life doing what they need to do right now. I'm a mommy, and I'm thankful to God that I am one.

1 comment:

R.A. said...

I love this post...you wrote it really well...this is really entertaining to read. Kudos!