Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Packages, People and Piles of Snow

Packages: Yesterday the 4 Pomeranians started yapping upstairs, so I knew something was up - we had received some packages at the front door from UPS. Two big brown boxes full of Christmas gifts from my family back in California. As I started unloading the boxes to put the presents under the tree I started crying. They could be empty containers wrapped in Christmas paper for all I knew, but the fact that they were from my family made me happy-sad. Happy (and thankful) that I have such a great family who loves us, and sad because I will not be with them for the holidays. Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to a Ruth family Christmas here in MI, but it's just too bad that the west coast is so far away so that I can't drop in on the Sovilla family festivities for their CA Christmas.

People: Yesterday great grandpa and grandma Ruth arrived via train from PA. They'll be here through Sunday. Let me tell you, these folks are great! Scotty and I were able to visit them in August so Micah could meet his great grandparents, but it was also just a good excuse to spend some time with Scotty's fun and friendly grandparents. Since yesterday, we've already heard their tales from their 13+ hour train ride, laughed with them at Micah, and enjoyed good conversations over Christmas goodies (thanks for baking them, Lisa)! :-)

Piles of Snow: Boy oh boy, Michigan really knows how to do winter! We've gotten TONS of snow, and my "first snow day" has already turned into a couple days of being housebound. Our church service was actually canceled on Sunday, and rumor has it tonight's Christmas Eve service may also face the same fate. There are piles of snow all over the place, and the mounds alongside the driveway and sidewalk just keep growing as we plow and shovel everyday...this is definitely going to be a white Christmas!

Merry Christmas everyone! (And Happy Birthday to my one and only brother-in-law, Greg)! :-)

No comments: