Friday, March 5, 2010

A Reptile in the Toilet

In the mornings Scotty, Micah and I try to have a family huddle prayer time before Scott starts work. No request is too big or small for God, so I asked that Micah would successfully use the toilet, especially #2; Micah still hadn't experienced that... We brought some other requests and thanks to God because He is just so good, and then we bid dad farewell (just watched him go down the hallway - he works from home). :-)

Micah and I headed downstairs and shortly thereafter we had our first accident of the day...yup, emptied his bowels in his little Thomas the Train underwear. We cleaned up the mess and kept going about our day. A while later Micah disappeared into another room, and he was a little too quite. I found him too late. He had repeated the same act from earlier. There goes another pair of Thomas the Train underwear in the hamper (good thing it was laundry day).

After a bath, Micah smelled brand new and we had a clean slate to work with. I lost count for the number of times I asked Micah if he had to go to the bathroom today. I could not resort to diapers - we needed to push forward, no matter how messy!

Mid-afternoon he had some successful potty trips, and enjoyed a fair amount of time on the iPod Touch. Toward the beginning of the evening, Micah and I were in the living room. He slipped under my desk and said, "mommy other room." I declined, and asked him if he needed to use the restroom. He said no. A moment later he was tucked away in the coat closet (the kid was trying to find some privacy)! I repeated my question and he gave me the same answer. Then, a bit later he piped up, "Micah go potty!"

Usually that means he's already done his business, so I thought I was too late. But lo and behold, he was dry! So we booked it downstairs, and got him on the toilet in time. Woo-hoo! I thought he was done, but he surprised us both. He successfully put his feces where they belong - in the pot. Double Woo-hoo!!

He didn't know quite what to make of the whole situation, but I definitely affirmed him and let him know that it was a good thing!! He took a peek and declared, "Snake Poo-poo." Oh goodness, that just cracked me up.

When we got back upstairs, I said he could have 2 pretzel sticks (those are daddy's snacks). And you know what, I think that pleased him just as much as the iPod Touch reward. Ha! And you know what else? God answered my prayer from this morning. :-)

No comments: