Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pink Ribbon...

A beautiful woman of God from my Bible study who is currently battling breast cancer is heading up a team for the Susan G. Komen Walk for the Cure. I joined the team last night, but due to my preggo state, I'm not running (or even walking) the 5k, but simply doing the 1 mile "community walk."
If you're interested in helping me raise my goal of $100 (only 20 friends giving $5), you can do so here: http://race.komengr.org/site/TR/Race/General?px=1144523&pg=personal&fr_id=1040

Signing up for the walk has reminded me of women I've known who have gone through this battle of breast cancer...
  • Janice attended the church I went to in high school. Her children and I got to know each other through the youth and then college group. Though I don't know the details of her journey, she battled breast cancer. I can remember her sweet, sincere smile that she wore on her face and blessed others with until Jesus chose to take her home to Heaven to be with Him.
  • Cheryl is my spunky, active neighbor whom I've gotten to know over the past year of living here. She has spent her life teaching and serving God around the globe. She has SO many stories and pictures of the full life God has given her to live. She too battled breast cancer, and is a survivor. God still has work for her here on earth.
  • Lynda is one of those "second moms" whom I have known since a Wednesday night Bible club I went to in grade school. She has spent her life pouring out genuine care and love on so many people. She is an amazing woman who truly loves God. She was diagnosed with breast cancer several years ago, and after the battle has since become a survivor. God is keeping her here on earth to keep loving on grandchildren now (almost 6)!
  • Melissa is my husband's cousin whom I have yet to meet. She recently fought breast cancer, but has since been re-diagnosed. She is fighting hard against this disease. Prayers go up to our great God on her behalf as she receives treatment in a different State then where her precious family lives.
  • Ellen fought breast cancer in 2008. I met her in 2009 when we attended the same Bible study. Before I knew her story, when I saw her I was simply intimidated by her confidence. As the year progressed, I learned about her story, and would be drawn closer to the Lord in praise as she shared about His work in her life. In May of this year, she was diagnosed again with breast cancer, and she is back in treatment, battling hard, hard, hard. There is no doubt that our God is still at work, and know that He is caring for Ellen and her family during this difficulty journey.
My sister Rachel discovered a lump over a year ago. We didn't know for months whether or not it was cancerous. She didn't have the financial ability to get treatment, but knew she had to do something. She connected with the Susan G. Komen Foundation, who helps women and their families in time of struggle and need. My sister Rachel was able to get treatment and a lump removed for little to no cost. We are praising God for the lump being benign, and for the financial provision through the Komen Foundation.

I am comforted to know that God is real and cares for us. He knows life is hard, but He provides peace and salvation through His Son Jesus. I love these words of Jesus, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).

If you know of someone who has battled breast cancer and is a survivor, current fighter, or one who has been taken home to the Lord, please feel free to share about her so we may celebrate with, pray for, or honor the memory of these women.

No comments: