Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Neighborly Neighbors

A few weeks back Micah and I were taking a walk down the street when I ran into another young mom with a two year old boy. I was just going to smile and nod and go my merry way, but I thought, "Come on, Bekah, introduce yourself! She only lives a few houses down from you, so get to know your neighbors!"

Sure enough, we only needed to tell one another our names and then we were in a casual "getting-to-know-you" conversation, and Micah and her son were playing while we chatted. We discovered we were both stay-at-home moms, and she invited us to come over and play whenever. We wrapped up the conversation and Micah and I finished our walk. I wondered if I'd get to know her better, and if we'd actually get together for her kids (she also has a little girl) and Micah to play. Sometimes we as humans say things and mean it (like, "come on over anytime"), but don't always follow through with actually acting on that.

Only a couple days later my doorbell rang and it was Joanna with her two little munchkins, asking if Micah and I wanted to go on a walk with her and her friend (another stay-at-home mom), who lived a block over. Micah and I bundled up and off we went. I just thought that was so nice of her - to invite me along with her friend, when she really didn't have to.

We headed off an a good long walk in the Buck Creek Nature Preserve (near my house - it's beautiful!!), accompanied with some more great conversation. Wow, I was so excited and blessed to be getting to know 2 more moms in the neighborhood, who both had boys just a little bit older than Micah. Yet another reason to be thankful to God for placing us where He has.

The Buck Creek walk turned into a park play date the next week, and some more interaction the following week. I am just so thankful for some fellow stay-at-home moms in the neighborhood with which to fellowship, glean wisdom from, and get to know. I am truly greatful for neighborly neighbors.

Here are some photos of our park play date :-)

Millenium Park with new friends!

2 comments:

R.A. said...

I am SO GLAD that Micah has some new friends in the neighborhood!

Mommy said...

CUTE!