Monday, January 26, 2009

Bridge may be icy...

You know the road signs I'm talking about. I had always laughed at those in Southern California, because I don't think it's ever wet and cold enough to become icy. But Michigan is another story...

A couple weeks ago I was at the tail-end of my errands, and I mean the very end - I was on my way to the last store and then Micah and I were headed back home. I was taking a familiar turn while entering a familiar strip mall parking lot, when I glanced up and saw a "Bridge may be icy" and "15 mph" sign off to the side. At the same time, I realized there was a speed bump just over this little bridge, and I was going a little over 15 pmh, so I let off the gas.

Though I thought I was still driving, all of a sudden good ole Mr. Car took over. Within a matter of seconds, I swerved and hit a snowbank. I would've been out just as quickly as I had gotten in, if I didn't have front-wheel drive... The guy behind me came to see if he could push me out (he nearly slipped on the speed bump ice patch on his way over to my car), but to no avail.

I called roadside assistance, knowing that I'd be stuck here for at least 45 minutes, even though all I needed was a little power to pull Mr. Car out. I put the flashers on, kept the car on for heat (it was in the 20's outside), and began to wait, seeing my last store on this errand run just off in the distance...

Cars started cautiously driving around me. I hadn't been waiting for long, when a sweet looking Ford truck drove up. Two young guys offered the power of their Ford, if I had any rope. I pulled out a dinky blue rope from the back of my car, and after attaching the ends to both vehicles, they were able to pull me out about a foot from the snow bank before the rope snapped. By this time, there was another nice man coming over from his SUV with a tow chain in hand to join the rescue mission. He actually had a kid in the backseat, but was still kind enough to help!

The three of them combined were able to push Mr. Car out of the snow the rest of the way, so the tow chain wasn't needed. After expressing my gratitude, all three vehicles were on their merry way, in three different directions. I was so, so thankful for them! Though it was frigid outside (and none of them had winter coats on), and they didn't know me, that didn't stop them from exercising compassion on my behalf.

I will always remember this familiar turn in that familiar strip mall parking lot when three gentlemen stopped to help me when I was in need.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Thankfully the only time I have actually gotten stuck was in my driveway earlier this winter. It had snowed several inches and I came home not long after a plow went by, so the snow bank now in the driveway just laughed when I tried to drive over it. I backed up, went forward, backed up, and finally a few minutes later was able to get going again. I will say that every time I drive in a storm or when it's icy, I say a little prayer and breathe a sigh of relief when I arrive safely home.

Thank God for good samaritans, though! :)

R.A. said...

You're not in Cali anymore, Toto.