Monday, January 26, 2009

"If any of you lacks wisdom...

...let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him" (James 1:5).

Wednesday night a week ago was a rough evening with Micah before he went to bed (he usually gets cranky, clingy and whiney the hour or so before his bedtime). Scott and I were flabbergasted as to how we're supposed to raise him with appropriate discipline as he is exerting himself more and being extremely difficult at times.

After the little tike was down for the night and asleep, Scott and I started talking and trying to figure out what to do. We were fresh out of ideas, and had no clue what to do. I started thinking to myself, I need to find a copy of "Bringing Up Boys" and "What to Expect the Toddler Years" and read, read, read until I get it sorted out...but what if I don't?

Scott just started praying and being honest with God with our struggles as parents and really asked Him to give us wisdom. Help, God, show us what's best! And you know what? It was only a few minutes later that Scott and I started having some new ideas about how to deal with Micah in a loving but firm way. I grabbed a notepad and filled up several little pages on our brainstorming session. Ways that we want to instruct and teach, but not discipline or punish Micah as he grows.

Both Scott and I realized that God had turned around and answered our desperate cry for wisdom right away! He is so good like that! It was impressed on both of us that God heard and responded, and we are so thankful. The next day this verse from James came to mind, and I told Scott it's no wonder that God gave us wisdom - we asked Him, and He gave generously without making us feel stupid for not knowing the answers on our own.

We've spent the last week implementing these ways of instructing (not punishing) Micah, and you know what? It has caused less stress and anger in both Scott and I, and probably even Micah.

God's good. :-)

1 comment:

R.A. said...

That's actually really cool.